Canadian RNs and NPs
Applicants must meet all requirements in order to become registered to practise as a registered nurse (RN) or nurse practitioner (NP) in New Brunswick.
How long will it take to be registered?
You should begin the application/registration process at least 4-5 weeks before you intend to start work in New Brunswick to allow time for all required documents to be sent to NANB. It is not unusual for applicants to wait 3-4 weeks for documents to be sent from other regulatory bodies and previous employers.
Your application will only be processed once all required documents are received and requirements have been met.
Application for Registration Procedure
Please ensure all of the following documents are completed and criteria are met:
- Complete the Out of Province Application Form and pay the attached $57.50 out of province processing fee.
- Submit proof of your legal name (birth certificate, passport, or driver’s license) to email@example.com. Please send a photo or scanned copy of these documents.
If you are submitting documents in a different name (e.g. transcripts, verifications from other regulatory bodies, etc.), you must provide documentation to support the name change (e.g. marriage certificate or name change certificate).
- Arrange for letters of good standing from all regulatory/licensing bodies where you have practised and/or been registered. This includes any countries outside Canada where you have been registered, as well as states/provinces/countries where you have held registration but not worked.
To do this, complete section A of the Verification of Registration Form and forward it to the registration/licensing body (a fee may be required by the other regulatory body to complete this form, so please check with them directly).
Because it may take a few weeks for your verification of registration requests from other jurisdictions to be processed, this step should be completed immediately after applying to NANB.
All verifications of registration are valid for six months from the date of issue. NANB may require updated verifications of registration if your application process exceeds six months.
- Complete and return the Declaration of Employment Form.
- Complete section A of the Confirmation of Hours of Practice Form and forward a copy to each employer where you have worked during the past five years and arrange for the employer to forward the form directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit a current criminal record check through CSI Screening. Log on to www.csiscreening.com, complete the Canadian Criminal Record Check and indicate “NANB” as the company. This must be sent directly from CSI to email@example.com.
For criminal record checks from other sources, NANB will require the original be sent to us by mail. Criminal record checks are valid for 6 months from the date of issue.
- Complete the Jurisprudence module found under your “My Profile” account on the NANB website.
- Once your application approved for registration, pay all applicable fees. Please see Fee Schedule.