NB New Graduates
In order to become registered to practise as a registered nurse in New Brunswick for the first time, graduates of NB nursing education programs must meet the initial registration requirements which include writing and passing the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX). The NCLEX is administered by Pearson VUE, an international testing company.
Graduates from other provinces, please contact Registration Services.
Application for Registration with NANB
NCLEX results will be e-mailed to all candidates, effective March 27, 2017. Please ensure that NANB has a valid e-mail address.
- Complete the NANB online Application for Registration form.
PLEASE NOTE: The online application for the June 2019 NCLEX will open on February 22 closing March 22, 2019; * First time writers only **
- Pay the NANB processing fee byVisa, MasterCard, or Debit online.
- Submit proof of legal name: birth certificate and marriage certificate (if applicable). Only original documents or copies certified by a Notary Public (lawyer) will be accepted. Originals will be returned by mail.
- Submit a current criminal record check through CSI Screening. Log on to www.csiscreening.com, complete the Canadian Criminal Record Check and indicate “NANB” as the company. Criminal record checks are valid for 6 months from the date of issue.
- Complete the Jurisprudence module found under your “My Profile” account on the NANB website. You will need to complete the module before being eligible to receive a temporary registration and work as a Graduate Nurse.
- Upon successful completion of nursing program, request an official final school transcript be sent to NANB. NCLEX results will not be released without receipt of this transcript.
Please note: A graduate who does not intend to work as a graduate nurse or registered nurse in NB, may choose to take a non-practising membership for initial registration with NANB.
Once a graduate has been issued a Temporary Registration, she must become registered by paying the registration fee upon passing the NCLEX.
Apply to Pearson VUE to take NCLEX
- NANB advises Pearson VUE of a graduate’s eligibility to take the NCLEX upon confirmation of program completion from the Dean/Director of the school of nursing.
- Register and create a web account with PearsonVUE at www.pearsonvue.com and pay the exam fee.
- Schedule an appointment with Pearson VUE to take the exam after receipt of the authorization to test (ATT) from Pearson VUE .
The NCLEX will be offered in Fredericton:
- February 6-9, 2019
- June 19 - July 13, 2019
- October 8-17, 2019
The NCLEX is available at other writing centers outside of the province on an ongoing basis.
In order to receive instructions on how to proceed with a request for testing accommodation, NANB must be contacted at least four months prior to writing the NCLEX.
NANB will issue an initial six-month temporary registration permit (TRPs) once you have applied to NANB, have paid the temporary registration fee ($50 +HST =$57.50) and are scheduled to write the NCLEX through Pearson VUE within the first six months of graduation.
TRPs can be renewed for periods of six months (up to a total of 24 months after graduation), if the following requirements are met:
1. Application for TRP is completed and fee remitted to NANB;
2. Applicant has written the NCLEX at least once during the previous six-month period; and
3. Applicant is scheduled to write the NCLEX within the following six-month period.
Temporary registration is required to begin orientation and work as a graduate nurse. If a temporary registration has been issued, registration can only be obtained by paying NANB’s registration fee upon successfully completing the NCLEX.
If initial registration with NANB is a non-practising membership (ex: if you do not intent to practice before being successful with the NCLEX), no temporary registration will be issued. It is illegal to practise nursing without a valid registration in New Brunswick.
|NANB initial TRP processing fee (X1)||$57.50|
|NANB 6 months TRP fee (renewable every 6 months)||$50 + HST ($57.50 per 6-month TRP)|
|NCLEX exam fee||$360.00 (paid to Pearson VUE)|
|NANB registration fee||Fee Schedule|